9.12.2016

Week 50: Growing in Grace and Knowledge

Another AMAZING week as a missionary! This week I truly felt the Holy Ghost working through me which made for so many miracles. Where to even start...  

As you all know we have been really struggling to find people who are willing to listen to us. For the past 9 weeks, I don't know what was in the air but we couldn't talk to anybody about the gospel. It was really hard and we were really tired of it. BUT we knew that the Lord was testing us to see if he can trust us. We trucked through and kept being diligent and obedient. 

To start off this week we had district meeting on Tuesday and an Elder gave an amazing training (a training is basically just a lesson) about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We were all supposed to come prepared with our favorite scripture on the Atonement. My favorite to share is Alma 7:11-13 but I knew someone else would choose that one so I chose a different one that means so much to me. It is... Doctrine & Covenants 50: 40-41
     "Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in   the knowledge of the truth. Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me." 

I love this scripture because it can be personalized to me. I should not fear the time that I live in, I should not fear the world because I have a brother, a Savior who has already overcome all this for me. I can't and wasn't meant to do all this on my own but as I grow in his grace and in the knowledge of the truth, I can have the strength to endure all things given to me. 

After we shared our scriptures we watched a video about Jesus Christ and it went through all three phases of the Atonement while listening to Elder Jeffery R. Holland's talk 'Missionary ork and the Atonement.' It was a very powerful message. To sum it all up in a couple words... 
      Missionary work is not easy because Salvation is not a cheap experience. We have a reason to stand tall... all members... because we are standing with the best life that this world has and will ever know! I testify that that is true. 

Wednesday was amazing! We had a tentative appointment with a potential investigator named A. He is from Nigeria and has been in America for about a year and a half. He is so intelligent and very close to God. He let us in his home and we were able to teach him about the Restoration of the Gospel. We talked a lot about the Priesthood being restored and here on earth today. He was confused because he believes that there can more then one prophet on the earth at a time and that God works through more than just one man to take care of his children. His belief is correct. God has MANY MANY good, inspired men and women on earth working in various parts of the world teaching truths. BUT the priesthood is not found with all those inspired people. The priesthood needs to be passed down by the 'laying on of hands'; by someone who holds the authority. If it is not passed down that way it is lost. That is what happened during the Great Apostasy. But through the Prophet Joseph Smith, it has been restored to him from 3 of Christ's original apostles. And we have a prophet today who holds all the keys of the priesthood to lead, direct, and guide the church with direct communication from Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. After that it all made much sense to him. 

A ended up coming to church on Sunday for all three hours and he loved it!! He said he learned so much vital information. We watched the Restoration movie with him after church and he said he had many things to ponder and pray about. So pray pray pray that his desire to learn more will  be strengthened and we will be sufficient enough teachers for him! 

Then that same night we had a set family home evening with some members and their non member friends who have a daughter who has been coming to church for over a year and wants to be baptized. We were able to have a long conversation about the church and the gospel. We taught the Restoration and the spirit was so strong during the first vision. It grew stronger and stronger the whole night. The family is completely supportive of M's decision to join the church and they are all interested in learning more as well!! It will be really cool to see where this goes. #Forever families!! 

The girls in this family are amazing singers. We had a mini concert so we would hear them sing... no lie... they sound like Beyonce or Whitney Houston but BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!! Raw talent. They have never had voice lessons. #BLESSED!! 

This Friday was the Chinese Moon Festival. Which is basically a Chinese Thanksgiving! It was so fun. They had food and games. I didn't understand a thing they said but it was fun to be with them and experience that culture! Sweet and humble people. 

Saturday we were out on our feet finding all the day long! It was so fun. I have learned how to say "Do you want to come to church?" in Mandarin Chinese and so I was trying it out on Saturday and they understood me!!!!! They started spewing all this Chinese at me and I didn't understand anything. But It was cool they could understand my white girl Chinese! :) 

Later on Saturday, the last door before we went to dinner we were trying to find V our potential but ended up talking to her son T. Who is a young adult.... well mid twenties probably late thirties. But HE WAS SO PREPARED! He listened intently to everything I was saying while I was sharing the Restoration of the Gospel. He was nodding and asking questions and everything was making sense. #THESPIRIT He told us how weird it was this feeling or sense of HOPE again. We shared the Book of Mormon with him and he was so pumped. He is a fire fighter and a personal trainer so he is a very well off guy and yet he was so HUMBLE! It was amazing. He told us that he felt relieved and lifted and he didn't know what that feeling was.... I told him that it was the Spirit... and he said yeah "I guess it is the Spirit." T told us we could come back and teach him more. He didn't end up coming to church but that is OK! He recognized the Spirit and that is a miracle in itself. 

I am just amazed at the work of the Lord!! I was reading the story of Enos this week and I love verse 12. "After l had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith." Enos' desire was that all of God's children hear the gospel and be brought unto salvation. I have that same desire or at least try. For 9 weeks I have been trying so hard to share this glad message and teach someone, whomever will listen and we  just weren't having any success. But I never stopped praying for the opportunity to share it and praying for the strength to continue on. I know that the Lord knew my desires to teach and share and serve but I needed to learn this lesson of diligence and intense prayer. 

I am thankful for the lessons the Lord sends me. So thankful for be in His service here in California. Truly IS the sunshine state. SO happy to be here every day! 

I hope you all stay safe and healthy! 
XOXO
Sister Holt

P.S. I am setting a goal to be better at taking pictures! I am so sorry! 


Road Trip with the Rolling Ridge Sisters

Sister Crane and I -- Happy Sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment