10.26.2015

Week 2: Deep in the Heart of Rancho Cucamonga

Hiiiiiiiiiii FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I made it to California in one piece and survived the first week in the mission field. To be honest the days go by extremely fast and the week felt like an eternity. But I am keeping a positive mindset otherwise I would go crazy. I feel like I've been away for 7 years! haha. 

My companion is my trainer who I will be with most likely for 2 transfers because she is training me. Her name is Sister Huntington so we are double H's and together we are Holtington. LOL we are lame. She is extremely outgoing and is so smart in the scriptures, so we balance each other out well. 

I am serving in the Rancho Cucamonga city, in the Redhill Ward AND GUESSWHAT.... we don't have a car.... we have BIKES!!!!!! My first area and I'm on a bike. My area is one of two areas that sisters are on bikes. Just my luck. hahaha I acutally really like it.  I work really hard to burn off all the food I eat. #portioncontrol
In the ward, there are a lot of really fun families and great people! I am really excited to get to know everyone better. There was a Halloween ward party Friday so that was the first day I got to meet a lot of the families that I hadn't meet prior to Friday. It was really fun. We were the judges of the chili cookoff and we had a couple of recent converts come, which was way fun. Then on Sunday was my first Sunday obviously, at church with the ward and all the lessons were great. There were so many women with amazing stories and experiences that shared. 

It's funny, in sacrament, the ward is WAY quiet during the hymns and so I feel like I am singing a solo..... that should make you laugh because I AM A TERRIBLE SINGER! Sister Huntington also makes us sing every day before companionship study. She laughs at me but I can laugh at her because she aint the best singer either. I am getting better though! Watch me come back and be the next Beyonce. ANYWAYS... that isn't important. 

I have had one break down this week and that's only because we had a bad sad day. 5 out of 6 appointments cancelled on us ,so we were just riding around from house to house to get cancelled on. So it made me frustrated. We get fed everynight so no worries I will not starve.

We work with a lot of less actives and recent converts which is one of my favoritie things... Strengthening their testimonies and reteaching them things is super cool. Then we have maybe 6 investigators right now. 
This week has just been alot of me trying to figure out what the heck is going on and who everyone is and where I go. WHICH by the way I have already crashed once on my bike.... hahaha! It was funny and no I'm not hurt. I just literally splatted onto the sidewalk because I'm dumb and don't know how to ride a bike. I'm learning. ;) 

Anyways, I promise I will have a better email next week once my brain slows down a bit. 
But I want to testify about Charity. 
 "Charity is having paitence with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and short-comings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to atrributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others." - President Thomas S. Monson
I have really been trying to work on this quote from President Monson since I left the MTC. Charity is really the pure love of Christ and it shouldn't just be limited to the pure love he had. But also the way he carried himself, taught, thought, and spoke. WE has Children of God and as examples of Jesus Christ should be striving  to be like him in our thoughts, words, and deeds.  We should be oozing with charity. Charity is having paitence, accepting everyone, looking beyond imperfections,  and resisting unkind thoughts and words.

So my motto is taken from the new Cinderella movie.... 
Be Kind and Have Courage.
I encourge you all to try to have more of Christ's love oozing out of you ;)

I know that Christ lives. He lives in the very moment. I am so proud to be representing him.
I love each of you. 
Be kind,

Sister Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment